Gruppeleder: Ole Jacob Elle, Associate professor
Telefon: 23070112 / 91171790
Kontaktinformasjon til gruppens medlemmer finnes lengre ned på siden.
Oslo University Hospital
The Intervention Centre
Beskrivelse av forskningsprofil
Most minimally invasive procedures restrict the access and direct vision to the regions which require surgery. Such procedures require intra-operative image modalities such as x-ray, ultrasound or endoscopic images as well as biomedical sensor data to be able to monitor the procedure in real-time. In many cases this information is not sufficient to perform the procedure accurately and safely. Merging information acquired pre-operatively, mainly from for instance MRI, CT or PET, with intra-operative data can increase the basis for decisions and thereby improve the safety and accuracy of the procedure.
The Medical Robotics, visualization and navigation group, develops cutting edge technological solutions which support minimally invasive procedures and patient monitoring. In particular, the group is focused on developing real-time image-segmentation and - registration methods. Visualization and navigation is required to present the medical images to the surgeon intra-operatively. 3D video will be more and more cross-linked with medical image information and move toward robotics and automation of surgical procedures. The research group is doing research in all these fields of technology facilitating minimally invasive surgery and patient monitoring.
It aims to be a nationally and internationally leading research environment in technological solutions for in the following research areas:
Main research areas:
- Developing new building block for navigation technology in different surgical disciplines like laparoscopic liver resection, neurosurgery and catheter-based interventions. Such building blocks rely on new preoperative and intra-operative image analysis/processing algorithms, where the intra-operative methods need to consider real-time or near to real-time constraints such as segmentation, volume visualisation and co-registration.
- Robotic technology ranging from haptic feedback and augmented reality in tele-surgical systems, semi-autonomous systems for support in the operating theatre and miniaturised robotic systems on the tip of a catheter or in a pill-cam system.
- Explore more research in areas like targeted treatment, new imaging techniques and micro technology.
- Biomedical modelling of organs like heart, liver etc. , using advanced mathematical models like finite element (FEM) describing tissue properties, flow pattern for prediction and simulation.
- Development of new monitoring technology e.g. accelerometer and gyro sensors including advanced signal processing for detection of changes in heart conditions.
- Rafael Palomar, PhD-fellow/Software developer (Permanent position since 01.09.2016)
- Rahul Kumar, Postdoc
- Espen Remme, Senior Researcher in 30% (shared IVS/Kirurgisk forskning)
- Louise Oram, Software developer in NorMIT.
- Kim Mathiassen, PhD fellow (also at ROBIN-group at IFI/UIO)
- Magnus Krogh, PhD fellow
- Liubov Nikitushkina, PhD fellow (UIO/OUS/Simula/UCSD)
- Egidijus Pelanis, PhD fellow (EU-project HiPerNav)
- Pravda Jit Ray, PhD-fellow (EU-project HiPerNav)
- Andrea Teatini, PhD-fellow (EU-project HiPerNav)
IIIOS (Integrated Intra-operative Imaging Operating System)
SCath (Smart Catheterization)
I-SUR (Intelligent Surgical Robotics)
Ongoing Helse Sør-Øst:
Hepa-Navi, Liver Navigation platform (Postdoc-2014)
Fast vessel segmentation algorithm (Innovation-2014)
Service at OUS – 3D printing of organ models (Innovation-2015)
Modulbasert Operasjonslys for Hybride Operasjonsstuer (Innovation-2016)
Måling av hjertefunksjon ved hjelp av en ny miniatyrisert bevegelsessensor (Innovation-2016)
Mimiq: Tilpasningsdyktig LED sporing for navigasjon og medisinsk robotikk (Innovation-2016)
HoloViz: Mixed Reality 3D Visualization and Interaction for Surgery using HoloLens (Innovation-2017)
Three dimensional display and printing of heart models – new tools for planning surgery and interventions in congenital heart disease (Postdoc-2017)
HoloCare, Regional Project consortium within Mixed Reality Visualization in Health (HSØ/Innovation-2017)
Other ongoing projects:
Planning and navigation platform for Laparoscopic Liver Resection
Modell based catheter navigation and Catheter tip tracking and catheter navigation in MR
Semi-autonomous ultrasound robot for nedle insertion (UIO/IFI)
User interface/Interaction design projects
Ongoing EU-project funded:
- As coordinator of the Marie Curie ITN-project: HiPerNav (High Performance soft-tissue Navigation), start date 01.11.2016
- Krogh MR, Nghiem GM, Halvorsen PS, Elle OJ, Grymyr OJ, Hoff L, Remme EW. Gravity Compensation Method for Combined Accelerometer and Gyro Sensors Used in Cardiac Motion Measurements. Ann Biomed Eng. 2017 Jan 23. doi: 10.1007/s10439-017-1798-4. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28116541.
- Mathiassen, Kim; Dall'Alba, Diego; Muradore, Riccardo; Fiorini, Paolo; Elle, Ole Jakob. Robust real-time needle tracking in 2-D ultrasound images using statistical filtering. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 2016 ;Volum PP.(99) s. 1-13
- Mathiassen, Kim; Fjellin, Jørgen Enger; Glette, Kyrre Harald; Hol, Per Kristian; Elle, Ole Jakob. An Ultrasound Robotic System Using the Commercial Robot UR5. Frontiers in Robotics and AI 2016; Volum 3. S. 1-16 doi: 10.3389/frobt.2016.00001 -February 2016 | Volume 3 | Article 1
- Palomar, Rafael; Alaya Cheikh, Faouzi; Edwin, Bjørn; Beghdadhi, Azeddine; Elle, Ole Jakob. Surface reconstruction for planning and navigation of liver resections. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics 2016 ;Volum 53. s. 30-42
- Kumar, Rahul Prasanna; Albregtsen, Fritz; Reimers, Martin; Edwin, Bjørn; Langø, Thomas; Elle, Ole Jakob. Three-Dimensional Blood Vessel Segmentation and Centerline Extraction based on Two-Dimensional Cross-Section Analysis. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 2015 ; Volum 43.(5) s. 1223-1234
- Muradore, Riccardo; Fiorini, Paolo; Akgun, Gokhan; Barkana, Duygun Erol; Bonfe, Marcello; Boriero, Fabrizio; Caprara, Andrea; De Rossi, Giacomo; Dodi, Riccardo; Elle, Ole Jakob; Ferraguti, Federica; Gasperotti, Lorenza; Gassert, Roger; Mathiassen, Kim; Handini, Dilla; Lambercy, Olivier; Li, Lin; Kruusmaa, Maarja; Manurung, Auralius Oberman; Meruzzi, Giovanni; Nguyen, Ho Quoc Phuong; Preda, Nicola; Riolfo, Gianluca; Ristolainen, Asko; Sanna, Alberto; Secchi, Cristian; Torsello, Marco; Yantac, Asim Evren. Development of a cognitive robotic system for simple surgical tasks. International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems 2015 ;Volum 12:37. s. 1–20, doi: 10.5772/60137
- Nærum, Edvard; Elle, Ole Jakob; Hannaford, Blake. The Effect of Interaction Force Estimation on Performance in Bilateral Teleoperation. IEEE Transactions on Haptics 2012 ;Volum 5.(2) s. 160-171
- Remme, Espen W.; Hoff, Lars; Halvorsen, Per Steinar; Opdahl, Anders; Fosse, Erik; Elle, Ole Jakob. Simulation model of cardiac three dimensional accelerometer measurements. Medical Engineering and Physics 2012 ;Volum 34.(7) s. 990-998
- Lamata, P.; Lamata, Felix; Sojar, Valentin; Makowski, Piotr; Massoptier, Laurent; Casciaro, Sergio; Ali, Wajid; Stüdeli, Thomas; Declerck, Jerome; Elle, Ole Jakob; Edwin, Bjørn. Use of the Resection Map system as guidance during hepatectomy. Surgical Endoscopy 2010 ;Volum 24.(9) s. 2327-2337
- Morvan, Tangui; Martinsen, M; Reimers, Martin; Samset, Eigil; Elle, Ole Jakob. Collision detection and untangling for surgical robotic manipulators. International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery 2009 ;Volum 5.(3) s. 233-242